Kassel, 1900-Göttingen, 1985
Harro Siegel studied binding, German linguistics, Theatre Science and History of Art at the University of Munich. He continued his art training in Kassel and Berlin. From 1926 he toured Germany and Europe with his puppets and in 1936 became professor at the National Art School in Berlin. From 1939 to 1943 he collaborated artistically with Adolf Reichwein.
In 1943, he got the professorship of Art Education in Brunswick, where he founded and operated a municipal puppet theatre. From 1946 to 1963 he taught puppetry in an independent arts and crafts school. Between 1964 and 1970 he directed the art foundation Villa Romana in Florence. In 1978 he returned to Germany and settled in Göttingen.
In 1951, he built the Horse and Rider for Herta Frankel and in 1952 his disciple Irmgard Sturm reproduced her famous string puppet Pavlova for Herta Frankel.